I had such fun making the “Belle” Dress-Up Apron that I just couldn’t stop there! My daughter has recently started watching Frozen. I think we have watched it at least once a day for the past week. She hasn’t learned to sing yet, but I’m sure she’ll be singing the songs once she does!
I’m excited with how the “Elsa” Dress-Up Apron turned out. Here’s how I made it.
– 1 m teal fabric
– 0.2 m sparkly fabric for the bodice (I found some tulle with sequins on it in the bridal section of the fabric store)
– 1 m tulle
– 15 inches of elastic (1 inch)
– snowflake embellishments (optional, but pretty cute)
– hook and loop closure
1. The first step is to cut out all the pieces.
Out of the teal fabric cut…
- Strap: 4 x 22 inches
- Bodice: 8 1/2 x 8 inches (cut 2; you’ll only need 1 if you are using an opaque fabric for the front of the bodice)
- Waist Band: 3 x 27 inches (cut 2)
- Skirt: 16 x 38 (cut 2)
Out of the sparkly fabric cut…
- Bodice: 8 1/2 x 8 inches (cut 1)
2. When I bought the tulle it was already doubled (as many fabrics are when on the spools). Keeping it folded, trim the edges so that they were nice and straight. Sew gathering stitches along the folded edge of the tulle and gather to about 12 inches.
3. Take the strap piece. Fold in half and press. Fold and press each edge up by 1/2 in. Position the tulle in the middle of the strap so that it is overlapping the folded edge. Fold the strap in half and pin everything in place.
5. Using a safety pin, insert the elastic into the strap. Line up the ends of the elastic with the ends of the strap and pin or baste in place. The elastic is shorter than the fabric which will allow it to stretch over your little one’s head.
6. If your sparkly fabric is transparent, as mine was, sew it on top of one of the teal bodice pieces.
8. Place the back of the bodice on top, sandwiching the strap in the middle. Pin in place then sew around the sides and top using a 1/2 in seam allowance. Your bodice should now look something like the picture.
15. Cut the hook and loop closures and sew on to the waistband. I sewed the “hook” part so that it would be on the top of the skirt when wrapped around my daughter’s waist, that way it would be less likely to catch on the tulle.